Our sustainability work as an owner
We have high expectations on our companies’ sustainability efforts, guided by our sustainability guidelines and the company specific focus areas.
During the past years, Investor has developed a more structured approach to sustainability as a long-term, responsible, and active owner, as this is where we have the most impact. Our most important contribution is when our companies improve their competitiveness by, for example, developing innovative products and services that reduce energy and water consumption, as well as improving waste management, human conditions and decreasing carbon emissions.
Investor’s sustainability guidelines describe our basic expectations which are applicable to all our companies. We expect them to;
- act responsibly and in an ethical manner,
- comply with local and national legislation in each country of operation,
- continuously improve social, environmental and economic impact,
- analyze risks, formulate objectives and to have adequate processes to manage and monitor sustainability risks,
- support and invest in innovation,
- sign and adhere to the UN Global Compact and its ten principles as well as the OECD guidelines for Multinational Enterprises,
- in an appropriate form, transparently report sustainability objectives, risks and progress,
- encourage and promote diversity in the organizations,
- have an active dialog with stakeholders such as suppliers and trading partners, and
- have a secure reporting channel (whistleblowing) in Place.
Company specific focus areas
Sustainability is included in each of our listed core investments’ value creation plans, with an overview of the sustainability performance, our view and two to three company specific focus areas. These differ depending on the risks and opportunities that are relevant for each company. Examples of focus areas are innovation, energy efficiency and diversity. The company specific focus areas are presented annually to Investor’s Board of Directors, and we communicate the plan, at least annually, to the chairs and encourage them to discuss it with the rest of the boards.
Investor considers sustainability matters in all of our investing activities. Through the annual Investor sustainability questionnaire, sent out to all portfolio companies for a self-assessment of their sustainability work, we follow-up and monitor our sustainability guidelines.
Our analysts track the development continuously and the company specific focus areas are monitored through the same process and principles as for the value creation plans. If a serious sustainability related issue occurs in one of our companies, the business team is responsible for raising the matter internally within Investor and for monitoring the steps the company in question takes to address the issue. The business team
is also responsible for reporting the process and actions taken within Investor. Investor’s board representatives are responsible for ensuring that relevant actions are taken within the company.
Our sustainability model - as an owner
Our sustainability efforts are disclosed in our Annual Report, on our website and in the Communication of Progress to the UN Global Compact.